New Year’s (2009) Resolution — Finish This Quilt

This was originally posted over at Suture for a Living on January 2, 2009

 

I started this quilt more than 15 years ago.  I used some cottons, linen, silk, and rayons.  Many from dresses I had made.  It was meant to be a wall hanging of the four seasons.

I got impatient.  I put the backing, batting, and top together before all the embroidery work was done.  I then embroidered through all layers, as you can see from this back photo.

Here is the corresponding block from the front.

I wasn’t happy with how it was progressing and did not like the back.  The project got put aside, waded up in a bag in the closet. Just before Christmas I pulled it out and took another look at it.  I decided to just do what needed to be done.  I began taking it apart, carefully, so that I wouldn’t ruin any of the individual blocks.

At this point all the quilt top has been separated from the batting and backing.  The blocks have been separated from the sashing.  The sashing and border strips were discarded.  If you look closely in the upper photo, you can see were they are quite square and pull (or tether) inward.  So now begins the reconstruction process.



Advertisements

About rlbates

plastic surgeon who quilts, loves family, dog person, walks/jogs, a work-in-progress
This entry was posted in applique, projects, Quilt and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s