This was originally posted over at Suture for a Living on November 20, 2009.
Last week I showed you a coat I made for a wool sewing contest that didn’t win. I did win (a different year) with this one. The fabric is a wool blend, approximately 65% wool (if I remember correctly). The entire jacket is underlined (or in other words, I fused a light-weight interfacing to the fabric before cutting out the jacket) to add weight to the fabric so it would support the roses. The jacket is lined with a bound buttonhole.
The ruched roses are done differently from the ones on the quilt top I mentioned early in my blogging life (I need to return to that top, no progress has been made on it). [How to ruche – free tutorial.]
This is the pattern I used to make the jacket. I won a couple of yards of wool fabric and a pair of Gingher applique scissors.